The Geronimo Memorial in Eerde is dedicated to the 501st Parachute Infantry Regiment
of the 101st Airborne Division.
This regiment was dropped at Eerde during Operation Market-Garden on Sunday, September
17th, 1944. The dropzone’s for 501st 2nd and 3rd battalion were located in the area
just behind the village windmill, 1st battalion was dropped at Veghel.
The Airborne’s had to conquer the corridor between Sint- Oedenrode and Uden and keep
it open for the advancing
troops of British 30th Army. Important parts of that corridor were the bridges in
Veghel that crossed the canal called Zuid-Willemsvaart and the River Aa.
Heavy fighting occurred in and around Eerde the following
day’s and the village would change hands a couple of time’s. During the fighting
the Airborne’s used the windmill as an
observation post. This post directed mortar fire on German
troops that attacked Eerde from the direction of Schijndel coming trough sand dunes
that in those day’s existed west of the village. The mortar section was dug in at
The windmill and the church of Eerde became badly damaged by grenades and German
shells during the fighting and the Windmill would change hands six times.
Eerde was finally liberated on Sunday, September 24.